Monday, July 18, 2016

Mis-en-Scene Banshee

"I am guys like that!!!!!" 
Disclaimer please forgive the cursing.
I chose to use a scene from the cable television series Banshee. In this scene, Sheriff's deputy Kurt Bunker has just assaulted a group of skinheads and is trying to get his temper back under control.I chose this scene because the character of Bunker is one of my favorites, he is a very hard looking character who has a lot of depth and most of his past shows on his outside. Emotionally this scene spoke to me and was done so well that I felt myself relating with Bunker. Director of photography Christopher faloona first sets the scene with everything out of focus and dark.
the use of little to no color in the background allows the viewer to focus on just Bunker and then later on Sheriff Brock. The way that the focus keeps going in and out so that at times Bunker is the only one in focus creates a sense of connection.  when Bunker is highly agitated, discussing how he feels about his past the image seems to quake with him. This effect really puts the viewer there in the room and in connection with Bunker. The way the screen shifts from Bunker; to his hands,  to Brock, and back, creates a feeling as though the viewer is there. At times I felt like a participant when the viewing angle shifts to over the shoulder. The lighting gets just a little brighter when some closure is found, and the quaking screen stops. I don't know what the style is called when the camera actually shifts from side to side as though it was walking with the character and generally I don't always like it. However, in this scene, it helped to create that feel of being in the room watching. When Bunker turns and states "I am guys like that!", behind him is a red door that is used to frame him. while he gives his speech about how he feels the red of the door perfectly matches the red in his eyes caused from crying, a beautiful contrast to the green in his eyes. This above all really allows viewers, at least myself to empathize with Bunker. Whenever Brock speaks he is framed with  the calming neutral colors of the walls and shadows behind, this helps with the effect that Brock is there to calm Bunker. Interestingly enough when Bunker seems to be more relaxed in the last scene he is framed with a background of the same calming walls as Brock. This is just one of many instances where Christopher Faloona catches the inner turmoil of the character.I have watched this scene numerous times and each time I feel vulnerable myself and am moved to emotion. I have also found something new each and every time.
I have put up one more scene with Bunker in from Banshee. Enjoy.
I would strongly suggest watching these and using the links to the Youtube videos for better picture quality.

Banshee Season 4: Aeschylus (Bunker) (Cinemax)
Banshee - I can feel you looking at me



No comments:

Post a Comment